Friday, May 27, 2011

Smashed Salmon Salad (ala Kona Bistro)

Oh Kona Bistro.... how I miss you.  There used to be a Kona Bistro in Oakley, but it has been gone for a few years now and the only one left is in Oxford.... Not quite on my way to anywhere.  I used to go there all the time and I always ordered the same thing. The butternut squash and pear soup and the smashed salmon salad. Heaven. So when I searched for a copy-cat recipe and found a fellow Kona-lover, I was pumped.
To be honest, I don't know why I couldn't figure this out myself. It is quite easy.

Ingredients:

For the Salmon
2 skinless salmon fillets
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons jarred Mango preserves (I couldn't find this so I used peach)
3 Tablespoons olive oil

Mashed Potatoes (you can clearly make the kind out of a bag/box, or use your favorite recipe)
5 medium red-skinned potatoes, quartered
1/4 cup milk
2 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon sour cream
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

Layers (Misc)
2 handfuls baby spinach
1 cup of matchstick cut carrots (found in the refridgerated section of the produce aisle with the slaw stuff)
1 Roma tomato, sliced.

Directions:
Combine Dijon mustard and 1/4 cup preserves in a small bowl and whisk til combined.  Pour marinade over the salmon in a small dish or zip-top bag. Let salmon marinate about 15-30 minutes in the fridge.

Put your potatoes on to boil. Cook them until the pieces are easily pierced with a fork and tender. About 20 minutes. Drain, return to pot and add the rest of the mashed potato ingredients and mash away!

Cook your salmon. You can either put it in the oven for about 15 minutes or saute on the stove in a bit of oil (about 5-6 minutes each side)

Putting it together!
On each plate, plate 1 handful of the baby spinach
Add a generous helping of mashed potatoes on top
Add 3-4 slices of Roma tomato
Add a small handful of the carrots


Now, top with your salmon fillet and about a Tablespoon or more of the preserves!
Prettiful!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you posted this. I have been relying on my daughters memory of this favorite recipe. We have fond memories of those days in Oxford.

    ReplyDelete