Thursday, May 19, 2011

Orzo & Wild Rice Salad (ala J. Alexander's)

I love the restaurant J. Alexander's. I don't get to go there very often, but when I do, I always get the same thing. The chicken salad sandwich (which is huge and I get to take half home and have second meal later...) that comes with this lovely orzo and wild rice salad as a side.  I love it! I searched for a copy-cat recipe and was surprised to find quite a few versions out there. I picked this one and it turned out pretty similar!

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked orzo
1 cup cooked wild rice
1/4 cup diced red onions
1/4 cup dried currants (found by the raisins)
1/8 cup corn niblets
1/4 cup toasted almond slivers
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
3 tablespoons diced red peppers
3 tablespoons diced yellow peppers
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1/2 cup dressing (recipe follows)
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/8 cup fresh cut basil


Directions:
mix all ingredients in a large bowl and toss with dressing

Dressing (makes 1 cup)
4 1/2 tablespoons balsamic white vinegar (I used regular balsamic and it tasted just fine)
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 tablespoon sugar
3/8 cup (1/4 cup plus 1/8 cup) canola oil
3/8 cup olive oil

Dressing directions:whisk the vinegar, lemon juice, garlic and sugar together to combine
fold in the mustard
add the oils in a steady stream while whisking.

* Note: I'm never quite sure how much dried rice/orzo will end up being when cooked, so I used almost a whole 1 pound package of orzo, which ended up being probably 3 to 3 1/2 cups cooked.
I used the whole 4 oz box of wild rice which probably ended up being 2 to 2 1/2 cups cooked. I just made it all and then was able to do a second batch days later when the first was gone:)


*Also note, when I made the second batch, I left some things out and added more of what I like. I left out the basil the second time since I was out. I used a bit more corn and less onion and peppers. I was able to store the rest of the dressing in the fridge and then used the rest for the second batch:) It still tasted delicious!

Beauteous!

No comments:

Post a Comment