Thursday, February 10, 2011

Brain Food

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day... but I've never really been a breakfast person. I like cereal, especially granola-like crunchy ones, but those are usually the most expensive. So I decided to give it a go with making my own granola. Suprisingly, I was successful!

Easy granola:
here's what you'll need:

4 cups old-fashioned oats (not the 1-minute kind)
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup shelled sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
(optional: 1 cup dried fruit)

Heat oven to 350 degrees
On a rimmed baking sheet, toss oats, almonds, coconut, and sunflower seeds with maple syrup, oil and salt.
Bake, tossing once, until golden and crisp (25-30 minutes)
Add dried fruit if desired and toss to combine. Let cool.
Keep at room temperature in an air-tight container for up to one month.


I eat this for breakfast with cold milk! Or I take some in a baggie as a snack (I add some dried cranberries for snacking)

mmmm....

1 comment: