Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Ziplogic

I’ve recently made the commitment to cut back on my plastic bag usage, so I’ve started bringing my own bags to the grocery store- like many others I know.
However, my next step towards ‘Green’ living is going to be reducing the number of plastic baggies I use. Let me start with a little ‘Ziplogic’
If a person uses 2 plastic baggies every day in their lunch (on average- or maybe just me… I usually have a sandwich and a snack) this would be 10 baggies a week. Multiply this by 4 weeks, this is 40 every month and could add up to 480 a year! (give or take) And this is just for one person’s lunch… imagine the amount of trash we generate just in plastic baggies. Ick!
SO… I’ve recently purchased these reusable baggies, which come in a sandwich and snack size in lots of colors and designs. I decided to try out 2 different brands to see which one I liked better.
sandwich size

snack size













 The website states that the Lunchskins brand can be washed in the dishwasher (one reason why I picked these) I also liked the patterns available and the material seemed like it will resist messier items. The material is slightly stiffer and the snack size is pretty tiny... but very cute!

SnackTaxi bags

The website says that the SnackTaxi brand bags shouldn't be washed in the dishwasher because the colors could run, but they say they're easily handwashed or wiped clean.
I picked these because they fold over themselves, creating more of a spill-proof seal for loose items, like nuts or pretzels. The outer material is actually pretty soft and the inside is more vinyl-y than I expected (a good thing... and sorry for making up a word there...) I think these are my favorites!

Eventually, I would like to make my own, but since I am lacking a sewing machine (and, let’s face it, sewing skills) this will have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment