Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Fruit-infused water

While I was shopping around for my new eco-friendly snack bags, I stumbled across this fruit-infusion water pitcher and thought... This appeals to me because I know I need to drink more water, and I tend to drink more water when it is flavored. There are those handy little flavor packets that you can add to your reusable water bottle, but most of those have artificial sweeteners and articial flavors, which I consume on a regular basis, but wonder what the long-term effects could be.  So I decided to give the whole fruit-infused water a try with my own pitcher.

The Takeya 2L pitcher from reuseit.com
The whole advantage of this pitcher would be that it keeps the fruit
 in the pitcher instead of flopping into your glass. But I have a pitcher with a built-in strainer, so I gave it a whirl.

I started by cutting up some strawberries and some peeled kiwis as I saw in the picture.


Now, in real life... the strawberries float to the top and the kiwis sink to the bottom. So not quite as visually appealing as the lovely advertisements show.

Then I let it sit in my fridge overnight before giving it a taste in the morning. The result is a light fruity taste that isn't too sweet or overpowering. I like it. The strawberries actually started to sink to the bottom.
Now to be practical, I transferred the mix to a less pretty plastic pitcher that has a built-in strainer so that everytime I pour the fruit doesn't come flying out at me.

I think I'll try a citrus version next with oranges and lemons.

As I did some more research, there are some pretty creative recipes out there... like Citrus Cucumber or Watermelon Basil and Lemon Lavender...not sure I'm ready to be that adventurous, but maybe someday;)

No comments:

Post a Comment