Monday, April 25, 2011

Homemade wheat thins

Sooo... I've been slacking on the blog this past week. It's been a bit hectic with hosting my mom & sister's birthday dinner, Easter AND dealing with a dog who loves being outside when it hasn't stopped raining for over a week! We had quite a debacle this weekend where my lovely pup, Cooper, decided to dig a gigantic hole which promptly filled with water/mud and he decided to go swimming in it. He was covered head to toe... he looked hilarious!
Proof: there's normally some white in there.  (featuring his accomplice, Jax...)


Anyways, back to the food.  I love cheese and crackers so I decided to try making my own crackers.  I found a recipe for 'wheat thins' and they turned out pretty good!


Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tea salt (plus extra for topping)
1/4 tea paprika
4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) butter
1/4 cup water
1/4 tea vanilla

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 baking sheet with parchment

Add flour, sugar, salt and paprika and mix to combine.

Cut in butter (you can use a pastry blender or just squish it with your hands)

Combine water and vanilla and add to flour and mix until dough forms

Divide in half and roll each piece into a large rectangle (Thin) about 1/8 in thick.

Use pizza cutter to cut into 1-1 1/2 in squares.

Transfer squares to baking sheets and sprinkle with salt (tip- press salt in gently so it will stick once baked)

Bake until crisp and brown. About 5-10 minutes.

Store in airtight container.

2 comments:

  1. My sister's pup is named Cooper as well :) These look great! Wheat Thins are one thing where I cannot stop eating them-its worse than having a bag of potato chips near me. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cait! Ps. I love your blog- it's one of the ones I keep on my favorites bar:)

    ReplyDelete