Thursday, April 14, 2011

Toffee Bars

I first tasted these delicious morsels when my mom brought them to a baby shower (not my baby shower BTW)... I was then prompted to make them when I had a surplus of graham crackers that were left over from a school activity (see Blonde Rocky Road post...) They are yummy!

Ingredients:
1 cup chopped pecans
2 sleeves graham crackers
1 cup brown sugar
2 sticks butter
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 Tablespoon Crisco shortening

Directions:
  • Separate graham crackers into individual crackers and place side by side on a greased 10x15x1" jelly roll pan or baking dish (you'll use 2)


  • Mix brown sugar and butter in saucepan and bring to boil; cook 2 minutes (do not overcook!)

  • Pour mix over grahams and sprinkle with nuts
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes until bubbly (be very careful at this stage- especially if your jelly roll pan is dark. I would start checking at 7 minutes or so). Cool


  • Separate bars
  • Melt chocolate & shortening. Drizzle over bars and cool. I put the chocolate into a ziploc baggie and snipped off the very tip of one corner. I then put the whole tray into the fridge for a few minutes to help the chocolate set so I could handle them. They freeze very well!

I especially like them with a little whipped cream on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment