Saturday, April 9, 2011

Quick Soft Pretzels

I LOVE soft pretzels!You know, I'm one of those crazy people waiting in the ridiculously long lines at Auntie Anne's in the mall... And then I get to the other end of the mall and realize that maybe I want another one, but I really shouldn't.....
Anyways, I remember making soft pretzels with my mom and siblings when I was younger. I haven't made them in a while, but had a craving the other night, so I dug out a recipe and wondered why I didn't make these more often since they are so easy...

Ingredients:
1 package dry yeast
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten

Directions:
  1. Mix water and yeast together in a large bowl until the yeast dissolves.
  2. Add salt, sugar and flour to the yeast mix
  3. Mix and knead the dough until it is smooth (I had to add more flour so the dough wasn't so sticky)
4.  Roll and twist the dough into desired shapes. Here's how to make a traditional pretzel shape.
  • break off a piece of dough about the size of a lime and roll in into a 'snake' about 12-14 inches long (this doesn't need to be precise)

  • Make your 'snake' into the shape of one of those 'cause' ribbons... you know


  • The twist the bottom end again


  • Now flip the top loose ends down over the open loop and press the ends down (you may have to stretch the loop open a bit)

5.  Lay the pretzels on a greased cookie sheet, brush with the beaten egg, then lightly sprinkle with desired toppings. You can be as traditional as coarse salt,

 or go the more radical route and try an 'everything' pretzel with salt, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dry onion flakes, garlic powder, etc. Whatever your heart desires ;)
6.  Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes

Then proceed to eat as may as you want without waiting in stupid lines;)

No comments:

Post a Comment