Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Peppermint Patties


Let me preface this post by saying... YIPPEEE!! I FINALLY figured out how to change the settings on my camera so that my pictures stop coming out yellowy-orange due to the lighting indoors... I did a little happy dance while making these today:)

Anyways, I stumbled upon this post and remembered how much I liked peppermint patties. It has never occurred to me that I could actually make them, but I'm glad I tried!

Ingredients:
Makes about 32 patties

1 can sweetened condensed milk
5 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon peppermint extract
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons shortening (or you could use Gulf Wax- just something to thin the chocolate)

Directions:
Add condensed milk, 2 cups of powdered sugar, and peppermint extract to a large mixing bowl.  Mix everything on medium speed using the paddle attachment until all the ingredients are well incorporated.

Add more powdered sugar, a half cup at a time, until the dough is pliable like firm modeling clay.
Roll dough into about 1/2 to 3/4 inch balls. Place on parchment paper-lined cookie sheet, plate or dish (something that can fit into your freezer). Gently flatten into disks.

Transfer to freezer for about 30 minutes or until they are firm (don't skimp on this or they'll fall apart in the dipping process)

Meanwhile, melt the chocolate and the shortening (or wax). You can do this in a double boiler, or in short increments in the microwave.

Using a fork or candy dipping tool, coat each disk in chocolate and place on parchment to set.  You can put the whole tray in the fridge to speed up the process. They are ready to go when they are dry to the touch.
*This was the part where I struggled. So be warned. I would recommend taking only a few out of the freezer at a time because they get soft VERY quickly, which makes it difficult to dip and transfer and still keep the shape. (let's just say some of mine ended up looking more like peppermint footballs rather than patties...) Regardless of how they look, they still taste delicious:)
yummmmmmm

1 comment:

  1. LOVE THE PHOTOS! They look great! So do the peppermint patties! :)

    ReplyDelete