Saturday, April 16, 2011

Peanut Butter and Oat Energy Bites

I'm not sure what prompted me to buy this at the grocery store the other day... Maybe I was on a health foods kick or something, but I remembered hearing that flaxseed is really good for you and that to really get all the health benefits out of it you need to grind it up yourself in like a coffee grinder, OR you can buy it already ground. As I researched on the 'net, there was some conflicting info where some thought that the pre-ground stuff goes rancid more quickly, but others said they had no problem-o... So we shall see. They do recommend keeping it in the fridge. Needless to say, I will now be trying out some new recipes that include flaxseed and we'll see what happens. You can just sprinkle it in just about anything, especially yogurt, oatmeal and smoothies.


I decided to try this recipe because I get a bad case of the munchies right around my plan bell at school and I have to keep something nearby or I'll bust into my lunch and then be angry at lunch since I don't have any food left.... I had these the other day and they were enough to tide me over til lunch:)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup unsalted, roasted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup or more dried cranberries, roughly chopped (or fruit of your choice)
2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 Tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, making sure to evenly distribute all the ingredients. Take some of the dough and press it together between your hands. If it sticks together well, it is ready to go, if it feels to dry- add a bit more peanut butter or honey. If it is too wet, add more oats or flax.



Use a spoon or scoop to roll the dough into small bite-sized balls. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Should keep 1-2 weeks in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment